Have fun on this speed boat whale watching tour and discover Madeira Island! We approach the animals respectfully and enjoy the smell of the sea in the air.
Snorkeling with Dolphins
- June – Oct.: 3 times a week – 9:30 a.m.
- Nov. – May: Wednesday and Saturday – 9:30 a.m. * This season offers exclusive private charters only
- Adult Snorkeler (16+ years)
- Adult Non-Snorkeler (16+ years)
- Child Snorkeler (8-15 years)
- Child Non-Snorkeler (5-15 years)
Enjoy a snorkeling with dolphins tour in Madeira
“Being able to appreciate the gracefulness of cetaceans underwater should be regarded as a privilege and a gift from the ocean”.
Encountering dolphins face to face in their natural habitat, the open ocean, can be an intense experience. We do not want to deprive ourselves of offering our guests such an encounter, as we know first-hand how amazing and touching it can be.
Our goal is to give you the opportunity to meet these impressive animals underwater while maintaining a respectful approach towards the cetaceans and other marine life.
- Vessel: The trip takes place using our zodiac, Stenella.
- Approach: Snorkelers hold on to buoys fixed on our snorkeling rope and will be slowly pulled by the boat at the water’s surface alongside the dolphins.
- Context: This is a passive encounter that does not involve actively swimming with the animals.
- Animals: the targeted species for the experience are the Atlantic spotted dolphins (stenella frontalis) and the short-beaked common dolphins (delphinus delphis).
- Capacity: we take a maximum of 8 snorkelers per trip. There may be 4 additional non-snorkelers accompanying the snorkelers on board.
- Crew: you will have a captain on board and a guide with you in the water attending to your needs
- Equipment: guests on board need be equipped with a mask and snorkel, designated aquatic thermal wear, a towel, warm clothes and a bottle of water.
⚠️ Notice: participants need to be in good physical condition to hold onto the buoy attached to the rope
- Snorkelers are to remain passive onlookers in the water.
- Participants must be familiar with using snorkeling equipment (mask and snorkel)
- Participants must be acquainted with the open ocean.
- The crew will take the animals’ behavior and their eagerness to interact into consideration as well as the physical condition of participants before and during the trip.
- Fees do not include a guarantee for a sighting or encounter.
⚠️ Notice: Upon making a reservation, guests are obligated to sign a mandatory waiver containing specific terms and conditions as Lobosonda does not assume any liability for potential accidents.
Come prepared for maximum enjoyment!
- Wetsuits are obligatory! You can rent a wetsuit from Calheta Diving Center
- Wetsuits must be booked and tried on at the Diving Centre at least 24h before the snorkeling trip
- Guests should arrive at the shop wearing their swimwear underneath their clothes
- You should be healthy and free of any infection.
- It is not possible to use glasses for snorkeling, so we recommend the use of contact lenses for a more effective and comfortable experience.
- Please always remember that your own physical condition will determine your experience and also that of others with you in the water.
- You may bring your own equipment (snorkel, mask, swimming suit), but Lobosonda can also provide you with a mask and snorkel. Please note that the lending of equipment requires the payment of a refundable fee, which is returned upon the safe and undamaged return of the equipment.
- Guests renting any sort of equipment are responsible for returning it in good condition. Damage or loss of equipment will be charged.
It is impossible for us to judge your physical condition or your water skills before the trip, so for your own safety and comfort, we ask you to be honest about your abilities in the water and to contact our staff in case of any queries. Before the activity, all participants are required to sign a declaration of personal responsibility, as Lobosonda does not assume any liability for potential accidents.